Almost everyone at least once in their life has tried to lose weight. Maybe just a couple of pounds, or maybe you were fighting your whole life with obesity. The good thing about the ketogenic diet is that is not just a diet, is a way of life.
Why is a way of life, because a diet, any diet, keto, paleo, the zone, high carb, low carb, you name it… Diets are not meant to achieve long terms results. The key to lose and maintain a healthy weight is to change our eating habits.
Before making changes in our nutrition, we should go to our doctor, sometimes obesity is the result of hormonal issues or chronic conditions that haven’t been diagnosed.
Now, if you are ready to start your ketogenic journey, there are some tips, secrets, and things is good to know before day one.
- The best advice I can give to anyone who wants to try the ketogenic way of life is to read. Research everything you can, google, facebook pages and groups, books.
- Take it slow. The ketogenic diet is a high fat, low carb, and moderate protein and your body may need some time to adapt.
- Don’t obsess over ketosis. I can take a couple of days or even a couple of weeks to turn your body into a fat burning machine.
- High fat doesn’t mean you have to eat tons of meat, bacon, and cheese. A lot of people don’t get results with keto just because of that, choose good fats like coconut oil, avocado, raw olive oil, butter or ghee.
- Don’t jump to 20 grams of carbs a day from day one, if you were doing a low carb diet for a long time, then you can switch to keto from one day to another, but, if you were eating grains, fruits, and bread, is not a good idea to cut them so drastic cause it can cause you to suffer the keto flu. Start at least with 60 grams a couple of days, then 40, and around week two you will be ready to easily tolerate 20 grams of carbs a day without cravings.
- Over the Internet, there are tons of keto dessert recipes, fat bombs, and sweet keto foods. My advice is trying to stick to unprocessed foods. Red meat, chicken, pork, fatty fish, leafy greens, avocados, nuts.
- You will notice that in the Ketogenic Way of Life there is Total Carbs and Net Carbs.
Total Carbs are every carb contained in the food you eat.
Net Carbs are Total Carbs, minus the fiber: Total Carbs – Fiber = Net Carbs. The 20 grams of carbs are supposed to be net carbs, but, if you are a beginner, go with the total carbs, and after a while try net carbs, that way is least likely to go over the 20 grams of carbs a day.
- Make eggs your best friend. They are a healthy source of protein and fat and you can use them for any meal of the day.
- Peanuts and peanut butter are common in the ketogenic diet, but they are not nuts, they are legumes. Peanuts have a lot of fat and a lot of fiber, but they have a lot of carbs too, so, if you chose to eat them, do it in moderation. That count for every other nut, almonds, pistachios, macadamias, and walnuts have carbs, and a handful of nuts can make you go over your 20 grams.
- Very important!! Track every meal you eat. Keto is about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrates of your daily food intake. The number of grams of each macronutrient (macros) will depend on your weight your eights and your overall health. You can go for a calorie deficit or not, it depends on you, but the results will depend on it too.
- Stay hydrated, the ketogenic diet is a natural diuretic, you have to drink a lot of water, especially in the morning. You can add some lemon juice to your water if you don’t like plain water.
- Electrolytes are important too, sodium, potassium, magnesium are vital for the good function of the body. You can make your own electrolyte drink, by adding a pinch of pink Himalayan salt, a pinch of cream of tartar (a good source of potassium), and Apple Cider Vinegar to your daily bottle water. One. or two of this a day will do wonderful things.
- Don’t get frustrated by comparing yourself to other people results, each body is different and takes its own time to respond to a new way of eating.
- Leafy Greens are very important because they will be your only source of carbohydrates and fiber. Spinach, kale, lettuce, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, avocados. They will help your liver to do its job.
- Forget the scale. We all want to see the numbers on the scale go down, but, it is very common in keto diet, that the number on the scale won’t change, but you will be losing inches. So, it’s a good idea to track your measures as well as your weight.
The last piece of advice I can give you is to enjoy the ride. The ketogenic diet will allow you to eat tasty meals. Don’t concentrate on what you can’t eat, focus on all the good things you can eat, and all the benefits that will come with them.The Ketogenic Way of Life saved my life. I was nearly obese, tired all the time, and I hated the person I saw every morning in the mirror. Keto was my miracle, I hope it can do to you all the wonderful thing that did to me.
Feel free to ask any question you have in comment section.